“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Tuesday 5 June 2012

All over bar the shouting. Now for the Olympics.

My involvement with the Jubilee was peripheral to say the least. I did turn out for the Republic protest at City Hall but by the time I had made my way there the river had been sealed off so I joined in with the couple of hundred good folk who had congregated at the lower end of Tooley Street. The atmosphere was pretty mellow with no hassle from cops or royalists during the time that I was there. I obviously just got a snapshot of the day based on the crowds at Waterloo, London Bridge and the length of Tooley Street but I got the impression that most people had turned up for a family day out without that much royalist or patriotic vibe about it all. One thing I did notice was that this was a very middle class party and there was hardly a black face to be seen.
Meanwhile I am obliged to Gitane for pointing out the Guardian poll on what makes you most proud to be British - The Queen or the Sex Pistols?  The Pistols have it by a country mile!

No comments: