“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Wednesday 16 November 2011

Youth unemployment. Is there life after work?

Youth unemployment has reached an all time high and now stands at over one million. I don't want to add to all the liberal hand wringing platitudes about the future of our youth but they surely do face tough times ahead. One of the few good bits of advice that I was handed when young was, "never work - have a good hobby and make as much money from it as you can". Easier said than done of course but faced with the option of a life of wage slavery or grinding and soul destroying poverty on benefits, it remains the only way to go. Whether your bag is the black bloc, rap, boxing or bird watching - get out there and enjoy it. Every day counts. This is not a dress rehearsal.

2 comments:

Jemmy Hope said...

Unfortunately in my neck of the woods the preferred pastimes for many of the unemployed young are alcohol and heavy drugs, financed by shoplifting (they can have that) and burglary (thieving bastards).
Growth in the burglary sector doesn't appeal to me and my peers. Get the snotnoses back to work, I say.

Anonymous said...

I got so sick of wage-labour I took a chance and tried to make it by doing something I actually had an interest in and allowed some level of freedom etc it lasted a while but ultimately it's difficult to make it last. I've now been on benefits for a very long time. It can be depressing and doesn't allow you many options but I still maintain it's better than wage-labour. I couldn't take the fact that wage-labour consumed my life totally. I am not that young anymore but I am sure there are plenty in my boat. Don't want to work any job and not in a position to have an interesting, half decently paid one. Work for this generation has lost its holiness I'm afraid. Work for the sake of working? Fuck off.