“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Sunday 21 April 2013

More flags! Massive St George's celebrations in Leatherhead.

Although St Georges Day is on the 23rd of April we seem to have had a premature ejaculation of English patriotism on Saturday. Yesterday I decided to walk the Mole Gap Trail from Leatherhead to Dorking. Getting off the bus in Leatherhead I walked into the main pedestrianised shopping street in search of sustenance for the walk. The street was so totally bedecked with English flags that for a moment I thought that I had inadvertently wandered into a EDL gathering. At one end UKIP were making a big push to get shoppers to commit to giving Nigel's boys and girls the nod at the forthcoming local elections. At the other end of the street Morris Dancers banged each others shafts, jangled their bells and waved their hankies. In the middle a huge radio controlled dragon roared and trampled The Flag underfoot as parents attempted to explain to their kids what it was all about. I found a Gregg's, stocked up with a selection of sausage rolls and gourmet steak-bakes and got the hell out of there. Very odd.

1 comment:

Dr Llareggub said...

Morris dancers scare my dogs. I think it is the whacking of those sticks they carry. It's odd because my dogs are used to working trials, where they compete with army and police dogs, bringing down people disguised as 'armed criminals', rioters and terrorists, usually facing gunfire as a test of courage.But Morris Dancers...no way.