“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Thursday 25 March 2010

Papal visit? No thanks.

I am fond of saying that it's a matter of regret to me that people are still prepared to live their lives according to the tenets of any medieval superstition and that I don't intend to choose one of these cults as being better (or worse) than another. But can I maintain this stance of religious relativism ? Are the Quakers really as bad as Scientology and isn't this the same kind of thinking that leads us to insist that all cultures are of equal value and to turn our backs on the victims of domestic violence and oppression as a result? If forced to choose I would have to name Wahhabi Islam and Roman Catholicism as two of the more unpleasant aberrations of the human mind. I don't want to restrict the movements of anyone. If the top ju ju men from any religion want to come here and preach to their flock they can fill their fucking boots as far as I'm concerned - I just don't want to pay for the privilege. When the Pope graces us with his presence we the taxpayers will be funding his visit; to the tune of 12 million quid according to some estimates. The security alone is going cost a fortune. Well I for one think that we should get our moneys worth and give the old Nazi a right warm reception.

3 comments:

Dave E said...

Ha ha, I like that description. Benny von Ratzenhimmler, no longer the Pope, now a top Ju Ju man.

If I can't make it to the welcoming, get my moneys worth too.

Anonymous said...

Not a Nazi, a conscript boy-soldier

Don'y be silly.

Did you object to the South African President with his many wives and his mad cures for AIDs?

Jim

Innocent Abroad said...

Dave, his real name is Joe, or possibly Holy Joe.

Popes tend to change their name upon election. When I tell you that John Paul II was really Karel (or Charlie), you can see why.