“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Tuesday 25 February 2014

Yarmouk. Is this all there is?

The philosopher John Gray maintains that much human misery has resulted from the mistaken belief in the perfectibility of humankind. I tend to agree and when people tell me that anarchist ideas are impractical and will always fall foul of "human nature",  rather than argue the toss about the nature of humanity, I prefer to suggest that if we are as malevolent as they think then that is all the more reason to have a system that holds in check the greed and ambition of some individuals. I have no idea what humanity is capable of achieving. I do know that the unchecked lust for wealth and power has combined with modern firepower to give us a world where grief and misery fill the days of so many. I also know that  it is not possible to watch and listen to Lyse Doucet's moving report from the Yarmouk refugee camp without thinking that surely we can do better than this.

No comments: