“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Friday 29 January 2010

I know what I like.

I try. God knows I try, but me and art do struggle a bit. That old chestnut, "I know what I like" could have been coined especially for me. It's not that I don't enjoy art, I frequently do, but when it comes to the meaning of it all I'm am usually left without a clue. Mind you, if a lot of art leaves me bored or confused the art world, the dealers, critics (especially Brian Sewell), the value placed on a few random daubings, all of that strikes me as being hugely funny - and when the whole pretentious scene is the victim of a massive scam it's as funny as fuck. Now I wouldn't know a Degas from a hole in the road but I do like to see all those experts being taken in by something knocked up in somebody's garden shed. Yesterday I had a look at the V&A's exhibition of Forgeries and Fakes and it's well worth a visit. The only shame is that the craftsmen who created these wonderful examples of honest art have all been banged up. The exhibition is courtesy of the Met Police and some of us think that they should be out there catching real criminals. While in the V&A I checked out the Digital Design show. Good fun actually. What's it all mean? Search me. At the entrance to the museums new Medieval and Renaissance Gallery is a statue of Samson Slaying a Philistine - could they be trying to tell me something?

1 comment:

henry said...

Then why not paticipate and take a bit of your own "failed" art along to Landy's Art Bin...

http://www.art-bin.co.uk/

...where that dodgy drawing you once did of your cat/dog/self that you never really liked can be added to shit stuff by the great & famous. Make a good little blog entry, at the least.