“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Tuesday 7 January 2014

Caring, sharing?

Economics is not my strong point and the world of "business" tends to leave me very irritated or mildly somnamulant. I have also tended to have serious misgiving about ethical capitalism and corporate social responsibility which seems to me to be oxymorons on a par with "police intelligence" and "left unity". All of the above combined with that most human of conditions, inertia, means that while all around me pointed out the ethical advantage of banking with the nice CoOp I never got around to switching. Eventually I did succumb and transferred my allegiance and not inconsiderable wealth to what I naively thought had something to do with Robert Owen and workers weaving their own bread and growing their own IPad. I was only to enjoy a couple of years basking in the glow of self-righteousness when the shit hit the fan big time. How was I to know that the whole shooting match was being run by a coke fuelled god-botherer with no grasp of the world of finance at all and that the bank would soon be in the hands of a bunch dodgy offshore hedge funds? As I say, economics, not really my strong point.
For a more serious take on the CoOp's ethical stance check out Johnny Void -http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/co-op-campaign-stop-the-atos-contract/

No comments: