“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Monday 23 April 2012

The Kinder Trespass

Tomorrow marks the 80th anniversary of the Kinder Trespass. This act of civil disobedience eventually resulted in a movement to allow working people from the cities to get out in the fresh air and enjoy the open countryside without being harassed by the servants of the landed gentry,  but not before several activists were jailed. A number of events are happening to commemorate the trespass and I'm sure that they will all be far better organised than my own single handed treck up Kinder Scout to mark the 42nd anniversary. I had hitched up from London so it was fairly late in the day by the time I started to make my ascent. I gained the plateau but had not been up there long before the rain started. By this time it was getting dark so I found a bit of lee and pitched my small tent. I spent the next couple of days trapped in the tent as the rain came down in stair rods. I had plenty of food and a sizeable lump of dope - but nothing to read but the Solidarity Lump Pamphlet. I reckon Dave Lamb owes me a pint.

1 comment:

henry said...

Why no fillum yet? Why no Brassed Off or Full Monty? Would be ample room for all the usual movie love/class stuff so commercially beloved by Britfilm producers?