“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Wednesday 26 January 2011

Posh And Posher.

Unsurprisingly I have never been a big fan of former Thatcher sycophant and leading Murdoch scribe Andrew Neil. None the less I am looking foreward to his BBC 2 documentary Posh And Posher tonight. Neil's central argument is that the elite in government, business and the media are coming from an increasingly narrow strata of society summed up as "public school and Oxbridge" and that these days it would be much more difficult for someone of his own supposedly humble background to rise to editorship of one of Murdoch's flagship titles. That may well be true but the question remains - should I give a fuck? Looking at a youngster today from a working class family, of course I want them to achieve their full potential and recognize that the dice are loaded against them and that this is unfair and wrong. My problem is that nothing in life has led me to believe that proles who make it to the top are one jot better than the bosses who were to the manner (or manor) born. If you are the shit of history but "started out with nothing" , you remain the shit of history in my book.

No comments: