“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Friday 27 February 2009

Reasons to be cheerful.

PART I
It's a fact that recent converts tend to be the most pious and most committed to their new found faith. It's true of converts to Christianity and Islam. I'm the same about Sam Smiths pubs. A convert of only a couple of years standing, I just want to tell the world the good news. The London pub has had a hard time of late with many good old boozers either closing or morphing into something that I for one can't recognize as a pub. I am reminded at this point of the wit who suggested that All Bar One had the advantage of keeping all the wankers in one place.  In the face of all this Sam Smith pubs are a haven of good drinking.  Cheap beer served in authentic old pubs. What's not to like?
PART II
Her indoors,  lover and comrade of almost forty years, really does come up trumps at times. The other day walking down Little Russell Street she spotted Iain Sinclair heading towards her. Knowing what a great fan I am she promptly accosted the master psychogeographer and introduced herself. End result was that I ended up with a signed copy of Hackney, That Rose Red Empire. It don't get much better than this.

No comments: