“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Monday 6 October 2008

On Blogging

Three months into my career as a blogger it's maybe time to pause and take stock a bit. It was suggested to me that I do a blog long before I actually got down to it. I had resisted mainly because I was, and to some extent remain, a bit suspicious of the whole blog media. What concerns me is the picture of thousands of bloggers typing away, legends in their own bedrooms and inhabiting a virtual world that they have confused with actual practise. It was interesting to hear Martin Wright, during the recent Ian Bone interview, express similar concerns regarding the possible isolating effect of the internet.
I eventually decided to bite the bullet and join in for one very simple reason. I enjoy writing. For most aspiring writers the options are limited. We can keep a journal with no intention of seeking publication. To some extent this appeals and I see myself complete with quill and dipping ink writing these masterly observations of the world for future generations to pore over. In reality it ain't going to happen.
A second option is writing for occasional publication in papers, journals etc. The third option, the self or group publication, and worse still, distribution of magazines, papers and leaflets is one that I think I wont be taking part in again - but I take my hat off to those that do. That,for me at least, leaves blogging.
A few random thoughts on the blog. I struggle a bit with the technology, find it a bit boring to be honest, but hope to improve and add graphics and so on.
Are their any women bloggers, or have they all got better things to do?
Does anyone read it? Probably not judging by the lack of comments, but what the hell. For someone who paid their dues cranking a duplicator, this is a piece of piss.

No comments: